This Beans Curry recipe is a great way to make beans taste delicious and makes a healthy meal or side dish. Inspired by a Sri Lankan dish, it is a regular dish we make in our home. It is easy to make with ingredients most people keep in their pantry and gluten-free if you use gluten-free spices. Turmeric is a wonderful spice to use in your cooking and has many health benefits such as having anti-inflammatory properties. The spices in curry powder are thought to help prevent diseases like Alzheimers Disease. Use organic spices and ingredients to make it even healthier. Serve with a whole grain like brown rice or quinoa or chicken and our delicious pumpkin curry (see our Recipes).
Many weight-loss diets today may help you lose weight successfully, but, they do not meet the nutritional needs of your body. This is the reason why people become ill and develop complications following such diet plans that demand food restriction or low-fat/cleansing approaches. I realized this after having tried them myself – I lost weight, but I also became malnourished, and my body lost many essential minerals.
The consequence of this is dangerous, for it becomes a struggle to rebuild and regain all the nourishment that was depleted from your system – it could take years to get back in good health. Also, your body begins to starve for nutrients, causing you to go back to eating more and gaining unhealthy weight, leading you to yo yo dieting.
We already know that fat loss isn’t just about eating less and exercising more. Toxins in your environment; food, air and water lead to fat gain (and inhibit fat loss) irrespective of how much you eat or exercise. Therefore, here’s a more sensible approach that will not just help you lose weight, but cut down toxins, and ensures you aren’t starved or deprived of nutrition.
- Eat more healthy fats: While many still believe and promote low-fat diets, research shows that your body needs healthy fats, and that they are required for weight loss. The brain is made of fats, and Omega 3 fatty acids are needed for a healthy brain and body. Swap unhealthy fats for healthy ones like sardines, fatty meats like lamb and chicken thighs, nuts, nut butter, and dairy products like butter and olive oil. Grass-fed dairy products are the best as they are rich in Omega 3’s.
- Eat organic and avoid food additives: Organic food contain less chemicals as they aren’t sprayed with pesticides/herbicides, and no chemicals are used in processing or in the animal providing the meat/dairy. High-fat dairy products, nuts and oils often contain lots of chemicals. These chemicals get stored in fat tissues, contributing to weight gain and obesity. Therefore, eating organic would be your best choice. As for food additives, those to avoid include artificial colours, flavours and sweeteners, preservatives and MSG. These are toxic to the body and contain substances that stimulate appetite and interfere with thyroid and pituitary gland activity. They can also affect cell transport causing toxins to accumulate in the cells, preventing weight loss.
- Eat more vegetables: cooked vegetables are easier to digest and contain lots of minerals that are essential for good health. They contain Sulphur which helps the body and liver detox, while minerals provide the body with energy to burn fat. Fibre in vegetables aids in weight loss, too.
- Cut off sugar and wheat out of your diet (or limit your intake, at least): These are two major culprits in weight gain especially processed white sugar and wheat flour that have no nutrition but calories.
- Get plenty of sleep and rest: This actually helps your body function better, run efficiently, and burn more fat. Sleep loss over time may contribute to weight gain and obesity. It elevates certain hormone levels in the body, like cortisol. This hormone makes you hold onto extra fat. It may also increase your appetite and lead to a slower metabolism. While sleeping, you also burn nearly as many calories as you do while watching TV.
As you see, a holistic approach with simple do’s and don’ts is what you need to reach your weight-loss goals. With discipline, proper practice, and motivation as key, anyone can lose weight naturally and stay completely healthy and happy.