This Beans Curry recipe is a great way to make beans taste delicious and makes a healthy meal or side dish. Inspired by a Sri Lankan dish, it is a regular dish we make in our home. It is easy to make with ingredients most people keep in their pantry and gluten-free if you use gluten-free spices. Turmeric is a wonderful spice to use in your cooking and has many health benefits such as having anti-inflammatory properties. The spices in curry powder are thought to help prevent diseases like Alzheimers Disease. Use organic spices and ingredients to make it even healthier. Serve with a whole grain like brown rice or quinoa or chicken and our delicious pumpkin curry (see our Recipes).
- 250g beans, sliced into 3cm pieces on an angle
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 ½ teaspoons curry powder
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons of water, plus ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon of organic coconut oil
- 1 cup of organic coconut milk
- Add beans, onions, paprika, turmeric, curry powder, garlic and salt into a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of water and mix it all together.
- Put coconut oil into a saucepan. When oil starts to heat up add the beans mixture and stir well. Saute for a few minutes, stirring to prevent burning.
- Add ½ a cup of water and cook for 10 minutes with the lid on. Add 1 cup of coconut milk, stir and cook for another 10 minutes with the lid on or until the beans are cooked.